Have you been forgetting things or having difficulty staying focused on any single task? Does your mind seem to wander off, which makes keeping your focus on a task at hand take longer than they need to take? Brain fog is common and has become increasingly more common over the past few years. Here’s why,
The thoughts you have, the movements you make, your breathing and heartbeat, and all of your senses are all part of your brain function. And you’ll experience various symptoms, such as forgetfulness, pain, and sickness, when your brain isn’t functioning properly.
These mental processes that include your memory and concentration are all affected by factors such as lifestyle, stress, pregnancy, and poor diets. Your brain requires things to function optimally. And the most important thing that it needs is a constant supply of fuel, and this fuel comes from the foods that you eat. But not just any type of food will do. The foods you choose will affect your brain’s function and mood and play a significant role in your overall health. Let’s face it, many of us have experienced brain fog throughout our lives more than once. We can often attribute it to something, whether it is a lack of sleep, stress, not enough caffeine, or pregnancy. But we often don’t associate it with having too much sugar or overeating. These two things affect us in more ways than we can imagine.
How Does Brain Fog Affect You?
Brain fog is more than just having difficulty focusing; it’s the sign of dehydration, lack of sleep, low thyroid function, poor blood sugar control, insufficient nutrition, food intolerances, and more. At Asheboro Nutrition and Bodywork, we want to help you uncover the cause of your brain fog by putting together a sustainable plan to improve your brain function. This plan will include dietary changes, nutritional and herbal supplements that will provide your body and brain with everything that it needs to function properly.
Let’s take a look at some of these things,
- The lack of sleep can cause hormonal imbalances. These imbalances cause brain fog, moodiness, lack of motivation, and basically keep you off your game.
- Other than lack of sleep, poor gut health is the leading cause of a foggy brain, and because of this, it’s never been more important for you to change the way you’re eating.
- When your thyroid levels are low, you’ll notice a variety of symptoms, which include brain fog, but not limited to unexplained weight gain, fatigue, and an intolerance to cold. Low thyroid hormone levels can potentially lead to hypothyroidism.
- Poor blood sugar control leaves you feeling tired and irritable. If you feel tired 2-3 hours after eating a meal, you’re likely suffering from poor blood sugar. Most likely, your diet is filled with refined carbohydrates, or you’re not getting enough carbohydrates.
- With an omega 6:3 fatty acid imbalance, inflammation will occur throughout your body. Because fats are essential to your brain’s function, you will experience brain fog.
There are so many reasons for brain fog, and uncovering the cause will help to create an effective plan to give your body exactly what it’s lacking and what it needs to function properly.
How You Can Improve Your Brain Function
Forgetting the reason you walked into the room isn’t just a sign of getting older, and the inability to stay focused isn’t just a sign of not having enough sleep. These are potential symptoms of an underlying condition. At Asheboro Nutrition and Bodywork, we’ll help you determine if the symptoms you’re experiencing are the result of a hormonal imbalance, food intolerances, stress, sleep deprivation, poor nutritional habits, lack of exercise, or dehydration. We’ll take the time to get to know you - your medical history, lifestyle, stressors, and diet. And we’ll run some tests if necessary to uncover the cause so we can start treating it accordingly. Some of the treatment methods will depend on what your body lacks nutritionally, emotionally, and physically.
Functional medicine is one of the best ways to improve your brain function so that you can start feeling like yourself once again. Call to schedule your appointment today. We’ll help you find the root cause and develop a personalized plan that will give you back your focus, improve your nutrition, help you to relieve stress, and improve you obtain optimal health.